With spring right around the corner, it’s a great time to get out, enjoy the weather, and update those family photos. Waco has plenty of scenic locations for families of all shapes and sizes to get pictures taken. Whether you’re looking for a simple, outdoorsy nature spot or a rustic downtown backdrop, there are plenty of area locations to capture your family.
1) The Carleen Bright Arboretum- Located off Bosque blvd. in Woodway, the Pavilion at the Arboretum is a local favorite for weddings, proms, and other large banquets. The grounds feature well-kept landscaping and several quaint sitting areas that are perfect for photo-ops. There is also a short nature trail complete with old rustic bridges to really bring out an outdoorsy feel.
2) Ms. Nelly’s Pretty Place- If you’re looking for a field of bluebonnets this spring, check out Ms. Nelly’s pretty place. Quietly tucked away near the entrance of Cameron Park, this location also features a crystal-blue fountain and an amphitheater-style sitting area. Capture the best of spring time and the best of your family all in one place!
3) Tonkawa falls– If you want a location not too far from town with some water, check out Tonkawa Falls in Crawford. Not only is this a local favorite for swimming and picnics during the summer months, but it’s also a great place to gather the family for photos. The waterfall makes a great background for casual shots and the limestone makes for a great Texas feel.
4) Waco Suspension Bridge and Riverwalk– This location is a true Waco staple. Whether you’re looking to dress up or dress down, the Suspension Bridge will fit the bill for group photos for any occasion. While you’re there, take a stroll along the Brazos Riverwalk and you’ll find several other areas that make for great picture taking. Along the Riverwalk you’ll find vine-covered walls, rustic brick backdrops, and even some raised sitting areas. This location is also great for little ones who love to feed the ducks!
5) Whitehall Park– Whitehall Park is another option if you’re looking for a fresh field of bluebonnets. This cozy park is tucked away in the quiet neighborhoods of Woodway and is booming with bluebonnets during the months of March and April. Get your family together before the weather gets too warm!
6) Cameron Park– What can I say about the beautiful Cameron Park? There are endless photo opportunities between the nature trails, Jacob’s Ladder, and the Clubhouse porch. If you choose to do photos here, plan to stay a while because there is so much to capture at this well-loved Waco landmark.
7) Downtown Waco Murals– Nothing screams local quite like the murals that decorate downtown Waco. If you’re looking for a fun, eclectic hot spot, check out the “Wacotown” mural on the corner of Franklin and 4th street or the funky “Waco” mural on the rooftop of Dichotomy Coffee and Spirits.
8) Teal door– While you’re exploring downtown, make a stop at the teal door at 714 Austin Ave. This one-of-a-kind , “P” shaped door is the entrance to some loft-style apartments and has caught the eyes of both tourists and locals alike.
9) Magnolia Silos– These days, you can’t mention Waco without bringing up Magnolia. The Silos have become quiet a landmark locally and Magnolia Garden is redecorated each season, which makes this a great location to take some casual shots. While you’re there, play some lawn games and enjoy a cupcake from Magnolia Bakery.
10) Baylor Campus– You just can’t go wrong with having a photo shoot on the beautiful and historic Baylor campus. There are dozens of great photo worthy areas and taking a walk at this Waco staple is just plain fun. Whether it’s the Baylor Science Building, the SUB Den, or Fountain Mall, you’re sure to find a location (or several) that’s just right to capture your family.