The holidays are traditionally a time of giving, but sometimes tangible items aren’t what you’re looking for. Memories last for years and can be so very special – spending tons of money, waiting in line for the newest toy to drop, or scouring every store in town for the right size isn’t necessary! This year, consider placing an experience-based gift under the tree that will help create memories for you and your family for longer than the lights are up!
What better way to celebrate someone than to spend time with them doing what they love to do? What better way to exhibit how much you care for someone than to show interest in something that interests them? Really put some thought into the experience you are gifting and you’d be surprised what you can come up with! If you need a little push for ideas, check out our list of options below – some you can find locally and others you can easily create at home!
Experience Gift Ideas
- Little Land Membership
- Membership to Cameron Park Zoo, Mayborn Museum, or Hawaiian Falls
- Lessons of some kind (piano, baseball, dance lessons, horseback, etc.)
- Passes to Main Event, Top Golf, Bowling, Escape Room etc.
- Audible Membership or Book of the Month Club
- Visit to the Mayborn Science Theatre/Planetarium in Killeen
- Texas Parks Pass
- Coupons for …
- Family Movie Night – Your Pick!
- Guys/Girls Night with Friends
- Two Hours of Time Alone (maybe this is just a mom thing?)
- Favorite Meal Cooked for Dinner
- Breakfast in Bed
- Backyard Campout
- Family Picnic
- Family Portraits
- Day in Nature (go fishing, kayaking, paddle-boarding, hiking, run a 5K and more!)
- Continuing Education class: Baylor or McLennan Community College
- Tickets to …
- Sporting Event
- Special Activity/Event: craft class, axe throwing, cooking class, fancy dinner, wine or whiskey tasting, massage, skydiving, visit to the gun range, etc.
- Membership to Gym or Local Fitness Studio (ReFit, Yoga, Barre, CycleBar)
- Weekend at grandparents’ house – this is a gift for the kids and the parents!
- Take a trip together – a quick day trip or a larger vacation – whatever fits your family
In focusing on giving an experience, you show that you listen to others interests, pay attention to their choice hobbies, and care about their enjoyment. The gift of an experience allows you to make it possible for them to take part in those things or, better yet, to share in those things with them! So, as the gift-giving season continues to be in full-swing and ongoing sales flood your inbox and mailbox, consider adding some experiences to your wish list, and your shopping list.