We can’t always make it to the beach or lay poolside uninterrupted by our children. But I still want the ultimate summer vibe when it’s blazing hot and we all need a break. I like to keep a list of easy and local ideas to make the summer fun!
1) Ice Cream and Loud Music – We love visiting our favorite Paleteria & Neveria — Helados La Azteca. There are several locations with a new one on Valley Mills Drive. The kids each pick their favorite treat, we eat it there and then ride around town with the windows down and music up. A simple summer music playlist makes a ton of memories!
2) Swim at Lake Waco – There are a lot of different parks to play around Lake Waco. Twin Bridges Park, Airport Beach & Koehne Park are a few of the main ones. Pack an easy picnic and just go for a few hours!
3) Plan a visit Western Belle Farm – Brandon & Taylor Huffman have thought through every detail at their family farm! It’s a beautiful and creative space to enjoy agriculture, make family memories and spend a summer day. Unfortunately, the farm has closed early for the 2022 season but be on the lookout for details for when they reopen!
4) Splash Pad & Take-Out – If we don’t have time to pack a meal, we grab our suits and head to a splash pad with some drive through dinner! Keep it simple with burritos or burgers and then come home to a clean kitchen and tired kids. Waco has six free splash parks all over the city!
5) Drive-In Movie – One of our favorite summer activities is The Last Drive-In Picture Show in Gatesville. Just past McGregor, about 40 minutes from Waco is a classic Drive-In Theater. At only $10 per vehicle, it’s a steal of a night and the kids love it every time. Their candy and snack shop is also super affordable, but they don’t take credit cards, so remember to bring cash!
Hope you have a wonderful summer and remember that there are simple ways to make memories with your family!