Now that the weather is beginning to warm up, we are in search of fun outdoor activities -whether it be weekday or weekend. One of the best ways to experience spring and summer is to visit a local farm! In my quest to find some farms to take my family, I found that most of our local Waco farms don’t actually allow the general public to access their space! But there are a couple of places to go “picking”, if you are willing to make the drive. Below is my list of can’t miss places in town to find fresh berries, milk, flowers, etc. – you name it, they’ve got it!
- Punkin Center Berry Farm is located about 30 – 35 minutes outside of Waco, in Oglesby. Visitors can pick their own blackberries or purchase some that have been pre-picked. Remember, if you are going to pick your own you will need to bring your own container for your berries. Check their website for availability, public hours, and daily supply!
- Aboud Family Farm is located 45 – 50 minutes outside of Waco, in Salado. The Aboud Family farm is a charming “U-Pick” farm. We visited in March when they had tulips in full bloom and it was beautiful. We picked multiple and kept the bulbs to plant for next year! In May and June, they have blackberries available and in June they have sunflowers.
- Mill-King Market, in McGregor, isn’t a place to pick berries but they have some of the best fresh milk available in their market! Most of the time, the cows are right next to the market to peek at too! Our family takes trips out there regularly – the milk is good, the drive is lovely and it’s a great place to take the kiddos.
- Western Belle Family Farm will be hosting its annual spring festival in mid-May. Located just outside of West, TX, Western Belle is another “U-Pick” Farm option with plenty of other activities on display during their peak season. This is a place to bring the whole family for a day of fun and memories.
- Finding local produce can be challenging but there are a few spots in town that make providing fresh produce to the public a priority! You can find a quick list here and always be sure to check out our local Farmers Market.
Enjoying time with your family doesn’t have to be fancy full day of activity to make it memorable. Hop in the car, drive down some country roads, and enjoy Texas in all of her splendor! Don’t forget to snap a photo and share it with us at @WacoMoms!