As much as staying home in our wonderful city is lovely, are you finding yourself in desperate need of a weekend getaway? Being centrally located in the big state of Texas, Waco is the perfect place to call home! If you want to see the city lights in Dallas or slow it down in the hill country around Austin, Waco provides many opportunities within a few hours to getaway for the weekend.
Here is a list of family friendly destinations that you will want to put on your bucket list:
- Great Wolf Lodge – Located just 125 miles away in Grapevine, Great Wolf Lodge has plenty of activities for young kids to stay busy all weekend! Everyone will enjoy the large indoor waterpark and arcade, but elementary age kids love the magic quests, rope course, kids’ spa and 4D theatre! Story time, character visits, and creating their own stuffed animals are especially fun for toddlers, too. Book 2 months in advance for some great discounts!
- Hotel Drover– Inspired by the pioneering spirit of the West, Hotel Drover delivers true Texas hospitality and a rustic-luxe experience in the heart of the historic Fort Worth Stockyards.
- Lost Pines Resort and Spa – Located in the hill country between Austin and Bastrop, Lost Pines provides a fun, relaxing weekend outdoors! After Dad plays a round at the Wolfdancer golf course, send mom to the spa while the family hits the mini waterpark to float the lazy river! A large fire pit for s’mores under the big Texas stars is a perfect ending to your day. The resort is surrounded by beautiful trees, which makes hiking and biking cool (complimentary bikes available)! Horseback riding, fly fishing, zip lining and archery are available too.
- Kalahari Resort Round Rock – America’s Largest Indoor Waterpark Resort & Convention Center located an hour south of Waco. Kalahari offers everything you could possibly need under one roof. Massive waterpark, arcade, and everything in between and fun for any age. Book your getaway 30 days in advance and save up to 25% off your stay!
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort and Spa – A luxurious spa, golfing and a waterpark for the kids! See the theme here! A lazy river, tube slides for the family and a water park with spray features designed for the littlest swimmers, make this a great place to be poolside. There are art, physical exercise and poolside activities scheduled for the kids throughout the day. Downtown San Antonio, the Riverwalk and Alamo are about a half hour away!
- Fairmont Austin– A downtown Austin hotel that is both kid and pet friendly? Yes, please! Located in the heart of downtown, Fairmont Austin offers a heated pool and within walking distance to fun restaurants and more. Voodoo donuts anyone?
- Gaylord Texan Resort – Another Grapevine area option, I have heard that the Gaylord Texas is spectacular at Christmas with ice sculptures and holiday lights. This huge hotel boasts state of the art fitness facilities, a spa, and beautiful gardens, but the kids will love the western themed waterpark with a kids lagoon, multilevel water playground and a zip line during the summer months. Round off your weekend with a trip to Legoland Discovery Center, Six Flags Arlington or nearby shopping at Grapevine Mills Mall.
- Horseshoe Bay Resort – If you love the lake life, this resort is centered around Lake LBJ in Marble Falls! Be sure to stop by the BlueBonnet Cafe in Marble Falls, because pie is always good. The resort has two pools for families to enjoy including a sandy ‘beach’ adjoining the lake. Kayaks, paddle boards, and wave runners are available to rent and perfect for teens who love adventure! With several top-notch tennis courts and golf courses, a landscaped 18-hole miniature golf course is fun for the whole family. End the night with a movie by the pool!
- Omni Barton Creek Resort and Spa – Located just 10 minutes outside Austin, this is a great place to experience the culture, cuisine, and music in Austin. With top ranking golf courses, tennis courts, a spa and pool, this is a place that parents will love. The kids will not be left out as they are served milk and cookies on their first night’s stay and enjoy mini golf, nature trails, and pool time. Kids camp is available if you need to sneak off for a pedicure.
- Kemah Boardwalk – Any three-day weekends planned? This is almost a four-hour drive, but lots of activities in one central location, make it worth it! There is an awesome rainforest exhibit and stingray reef, where kids can touch the stingrays. Lots of great restaurants, but I highly recommend the Aquarium restaurant, because the floor to ceiling aquariums filled with tropical fish are amazing to watch. The Boardwalk is filled with lots of carnival style games, food and a mini amusement park with rides for all ages. For older kids, a wooden roller coaster and a high speed boat ride in Galveston Bay called the Boardwalk Beast is a must.
- Pointe West Galveston – At the Beach Club you will find our infinity pool, large hot tub, kiddie pool, fitness center, game room, The Pointe Restaurant & Bar, Sommer’s Gifs, gas grills, cabanas that are available to rent, and a whole lot of fun! This is also where the office is located to purchase and pick up your wristbands for the amenities at Pointe West. Over a mile of vehicle free beach for your enjoyment. Highly maintained during our Sargassum Seaweed season, our beaches are among the cleanest and most inviting on the Texas coast. Bring your beach towels, tents, sunscreen and smiles for a wonderful day on the beach! You can find beach side and bay side condos available on VRBO and Airbnb.
- Lakeway Resort– Features a full-service spa, three large swimming pools, a whirlpool, a swim-up bar and a slide area that’s terrific for kids. Enjoy cocktails with a view at our rustic lower lobby bar and savor creative Southern cuisine at our restaurant with outside seating featuring panoramic lake views. Get energized in our state of the art fitness center, set sail for a day on the lake from the marina or tee off from a championship golf course. For families, Lakeway Resort and Spa offers a fantastic Kid Zone complete with arts & crafts, movies, games and much more.
- The Woodlands Resort– Nestled in 28,000 acres of forest north of Houston, the newly renovated Woodlands Resort is a destination of fun and relaxation. Just steps from 406 deluxe guest rooms are two championship golf courses and the Forest Oasis Waterscape™ with 1,000 foot lazy river. Guests enjoy seasonal poolside dining, dive-in movies and family-friendly entertainment. Other resort amenities include a full-service spa and fitness facility, 190 miles of trails, and tennis courts. Explore the property’s three restaurants or lounge, plus nearby shopping and entertainment.